Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Peach State. Peach Muffins.

One thing I love about the state of Georgia is their love of peaches. Through the months of May to August, the wonderful fruit is in season and they aren't like any I have ever tasted elsewhere. To pay homage, I made Peach Cobbler Muffins. Again, I got the recipe from Joy The Baker's cookbook. True, it's only March so the fruit isn't in season for two months but I had to try this recipe. I'm glad I did.

  

What you'll need                           
For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
7 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups peaches (about a peach and a half)

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees and used cupcake papers to line the tin (you can also use butter and flour buy your girl didn't have time for that). In a medium bowl I whisked together the flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, & nutmeg. This is always my favorite part of baking because it's pretty simple and I feel like a pro baker doing it.

Next, put the butter in a small saucepan and melt until it's browned - over medium heat. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. I burnt myself twice.

In another bowl, whisk egg, yolk, milk, and vanilla. While whisking, stir in the butter. Add this to the flour mixture all at once. Fold together with a spatula. Once there isn't any flour remaining, fold in the peaches. Scoop evenly into the muffin tin. The batter was hella sticky and I had a hard time. I'll probably butter & flour the tin next time as opposed to using cupcake papers. That's what I get for being lazy.

What you'll need
For the topping:
3 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Combine all the above ingredients in a small bowl and blend with your fingers until it's all crumbly. I felt like a kid doing this with my hands and was pretty jazzed. I promise I didn't lick my fingers. Divide onto batter evenly. I didn't need to use all of the topping, probably 3/4 of it.


Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer put into the center comes out clean. It was about 20 minutes in my oven. But I checked them at 15 minutes, 18, and then 20.
Muffins out!
Muffins in!














It sucks, but let cool for about 20 minutes before removing. They smelled so good at this point that I had to distract myself from burning myself (again) just to eat one. I cleaned up my kitchen at this point and then immediately inhaled one. Worth it.

Not pictured: 4 already eaten muffins.
Things to do differently:
Honestly, not much. The recipe was pretty easy & they came out killer & I am looking forward to making them again during peach season. There are a few places near my area where you can pick your own peaches so I'll definitely do that to ensure maximum freshness! Also, I was pretty excited about this recipe so I kinda forgot to take pictures along the way - my bad!

This coming weekend I'll be traveling to Ohio for an orthodontist check up (fingers crossed it goes well - I'm nervous for this one) & a visit with loved ones. I have an idea of what I want to bake and hopefully I can get my mom on board to make it with me! If not, I'll probably take a week off the baking game.

Hope ya'll have a great week!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Keep them in the fridge! I made peach cupcakes once and the batter was so moist from the peaches that they molded really quickly in a container on the counter. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof! Thanks Laura! I am doing that right now. I hope they don't go bad (I made them Sunday)!

      Delete